Wednesday 30 April 2014

A Full English breakfast...

Oh yuuummeee! I'm on holiday and a part of the pleasure is waking up to the smell of bacon sizzling in the kitchen knowing that a Full English is coming my way! What could be nicer? I'm hiking all day so there's no reason to worry about the calories (is there?) so bang it on down and let's get going? Mmmmmmm!

And that's exactly what I did this morning. Great! Finished breakfast, packed my bag, paid my bill, got a lift to the Pennine Way where I left it yesterday and started hiking. Tummy nicely full and feeling very satisfied, if a little bit portly!

The way immediately crossed a reservoir and pass through a peaceful avenue of trees, which for all their peaceful appearance are actually not that far from a main road so the reflecting silence of the morning stillness on the water was rather battling with the intermittent traffic noise from the road.

My boot did find something rather unsavoury on the path on the woods there but that's another story...

I was ambling along, brooding on the peaceful views of the reservoir at the woodside when I realised a weird noise was gradually intruding on the peace and I was dragged out of contemplation to wonder what it was. It got rapidly louder and turned out to be one of these...

And if I could speak pig I'd say I was hearing screams of total terror! The still of the morning was torn by that very horrible sound. I'll still be alive to have dinner tonight but the pigs in that lorry won't be! My morning stroll by the still water was the same morning that for them was a horrific final trip to the abattoir! They seemed to know it....

My bacon and sausage from an hour before seemed not to be sitting very comfortably inside me all of a sudden....

 

No comments:

Post a Comment